New Ex Owes Me Money

I just recently broke up with my boyfriend of four years. We're both in our early twenties. He is older than me.

Lately he has been switching jobs, trying to pull in the money. His family is having a tough time and he has to be the provider.

I have had a stable job with a stable income. In December, he saw something online that he really, really wanted. Some rare collectible thing. I said "alright, I guess I'll buy it for you, but you gotta pay me back."

I know I probably should not have enabled him to spend money that he didn't have, but I knew he really wanted that item, and told him he could pay me back in increments, whenever.

It's now March and I just broke up with him several days ago. I was getting fed up with him for multiple reasons. We have talked about him repaying me, but he never got around to it.

Now I assume we'll have no contact. I haven't talked to him since. I really prefer not to talk to him...

Before we broke up (and I did the breaking-upping), I casually mentioned the money, but then kind of just said "keep it", because I know he's going thru rough times.

But that is $300....car insurance, gas, groceries I could buy...

I guess I'm never getting it back, right? I know he'll never write me a check and slip it in my mail. Wishful thinking.

Is that wrong of me?

• Author

Yeah, I figured. It just sucks though, all those hours at working slaving away gone :(

Oh well, at least I kind of helped him out I guess. But lesson learned.