Dear humanity

Dear humanity,

I have found myself at odds with you lately. A rift has been growing between us for quite a while now. Externally, I cannot understand your motives. Why is it you must attack me, even when I throw a white flag of peace? Tears are mocked, cuts are deepened, and I am left lost in a crowd yet cold from the isolation. I had so many beautiful hopes for you, humanity, when I was a child. Honesty, respect, compassion- all seemed like components worthy of thee. Yet here I write, alone in this room with the lights off, addressing a character who exists everywhere yet not at any one point. I am not saying you are ugly, humanity. Please dont take it that way. I have seen much beauty in you- much potential and ability. Sadly, however, I am deeply worried that your potential is going to waste.

Speaking of love and potential, I fell in love with a girl my senior year in high school. I had never loved before, and had barely even liked. I once worried I simply was incapable of having strong feelings for anyone (romantically). I learned I was wrong when I met her, because over time I realized I had fallen in love. She was a year younger in school, so we went

long distance until she moved to college (happened to move very close).

Things changed, and humanity- YOU got in the way! Well, I should not blame you. I should not blame you because you are me. And you are her. And you are everybody else. I cant escape you- although I try so hard. I feel my humanity- breathe it, taste it, live it. I feel the human crutch of pain, a sense of betrayal and loss of direction. I suffer from knowing I am but one in a million of you, humanity. That I fell so hard for a girl, and now she occupies most of my negative thoughts. Images of her with others of your kind, images derived from a fiction only capable of being created by a human mind.

I recognize you as you are humanity, for you are me. And I cannot escape.

Echo

Beautifully written.

We're all here bc something happened. I guess it doesnt look so good for "humanity" right now.

I hope writing that out helped you get some release.

But, humanity brings hope, and love and acceptance. Humanity gives us a reason to love again. Humanity stings when the time or purpose is wrong, to urge us along to what is right. Do not give up hope in humanity.

• Author

Humanity is the wisest child you will ever meet. Often sweet and good at the core, but capable of doing rash things. How do you deal with that?

• Like 1