Age a factor?

Islandsaway

I met the guy of my dreams, we spent the last year together and it really was great. We travelled and lived together out West, we have very similar personalitys and get along amazingly.

I am 24, and he is 20. We seem to keep coming back to the fact that he is 'unsure' about being with me, whether or not he's ready for what we have. He has to figure himeself out and what he wants for himself. HIs biggest concern was that we keep letting opportunities pass so that we can stay together (i.e. travel, job opportunities etc.,) he wants to be able to pick up and leave and not think twice about it...or think about me. So we've broken up.

I'm lost, I really fell head over heels for this guy. I feel like I shouldn't want to be with someone who doesn't know completly in his heart he wants to be with me, but I do. I wonder at times though if he is just afraid of what we have, I don't understand how he cannot see what we have together. He says he loves me, and seems really confused about the whole thing himself.

We've decided to stay friends, and he talks like someday (2 weeks..or a year who knows...) we'll end up back together. How can I help him, he seems so lost and confused, is this an I'm 20 thing? I don't know what to do. Seeing him is hard, ecspecially when he still treats me the same, tells me he loves me etc., his friends say he still talks about me lots, but he seems almost stubborn that breaking up is the best thing to do.

Any advice? He confuses me, I want to help and I dont know how.

• Author
Islandsaway

I was wary getting involved with him in the first place because of the age difference. 20 year olds have a different mentality, I remeber what I was like only four short years ago and what I was doing and what a difference!

I just wonder if he's scared of the commitment cause he is so young. and is it a lost cause?

Understand that this is something you can't fix or change. No matter how rotten that is, sometimes we are forced to accept life as it is and this is one of those instances.