So last night I hooked up with a girl with the sole purpose of trying to get over my ex! However it completely backfired. It's been about 10 months since we were together and in that time I have tried everything I know of to get over her! Except finding someone else....a few people on here suggested I give it a try so I did. In the moment I felt great! As if I had made huge progress but now I feel like I just want my ex. Totally not what I was expecting today. I just want to get over my first love if I can't get her back!!! So now what do I do? Any advice is appreciated....do I just keep on hooking up with girls until I completely forget my ex exists?

No don't just go around hooking up with girls if you aren't ready. What you need to do is realize that you can be very happy without this ex. She's been gone a longtime and hey! She isn't coming back. All you are doing by holding on is making yourself miserable. There's no romantic prize for holding on. She let go now you have to. There's amazing things waiting for you whenever you're ready.

So last night I hooked up with a girl with the sole purpose of trying to get over my ex!

I think it was mean to use that girl like that.

It takes 2 to tango, but anyway, yea sounds like your still holding on apposed to moving on, time for a bit of soul searching buddy :p

I remember the first time I did anything with anyone after my ex and I broke up and I also felt miserable the next day. Part of me strangely felt like I had cheated on him or betrayed him in some way, but mostly I just felt empty and unfulfilled. It's hard to put all the feelings aside without you actually having an emotional connection with someone new. I stayed away from anyone else until I was a little more emotionally prepared (took me almost a year and a half so give yourself some time) and I think you should probably think about the same thing. There really is no need to hurt someone else and it unfortunately won't make you feel any better.

I think it was mean to use that girl like that.

That's an assumption that is possible, but there's no evidence in the content of the opening post to assume it. It's just as possible that they both knew it was a one-time and/or casual thing, consistent with his use of the term "hooked up." From the information given, how do you come to the guaranteed conclusion that it was mean?

It takes 2 to tango

In this situation, that phrase would only apply if the person knows they are being used and is okay with it.

That's an assumption that is possible, but there's no evidence in the content of the opening post to assume it. It's just as possible that they both knew it was a one-time and/or casual thing, consistent with his use of the term "hooked up." From the information given, how do you come to the guaranteed conclusion that it was mean?

I could be wrong, but unless he went to her and said "Hey baby, I'm going to hook up with you for one and only one reason...to get over my ex" then he used her.

if the girl likes the one night stand she won't care if he's using it to get over his ex, she just wants it don't matter the reason. Some girls even like the fact that the man's heart belongs to someone else.

So last night I hooked up with a girl with the sole purpose of trying to get over my ex! However it completely backfired. It's been about 10 months since we were together and in that time I have tried everything I know of to get over her! Except finding someone else....a few people on here suggested I give it a try so I did. In the moment I felt great! As if I had made huge progress but now I feel like I just want my ex. Totally not what I was expecting today. I just want to get over my first love if I can't get her back!!! So now what do I do? Any advice is appreciated....do I just keep on hooking up with girls until I completely forget my ex exists?

Kyle, there's a difference between finding someone else and just hooking up with someone else.

I believe in this situation you set yourself up for an empty experience that would only serve to make you feel more attached to your ex, not less.

• Like 1
I could be wrong...

That's all I was pointing out. Your statement (go back and read it) was certain you were right, and that was not supported by the original post. You assumed that your imagined scenario was the only possible one.

• Author

I might have exaggerated when I said the sole purpose! I hooked up with her cause I thought she was cute and I wanted to hook up with her! But there was an added bonus in my mind where I was like maybe this will help me get over my ex. I would not have hooked up with her if I didn't like her.