Is my EX using me or does he genuinely like me still?

Morning all.

My ex broke up with me a year ago (after a five year relationship) and he INSISTED we remain friedns even though I really didn'twant to; eventually I agreed and we see each other occasionally. Also we email every week or two, update each other on our lives and meet to go to a bar to have a few drinks to catch up every few weeks. We usually stay a while, end up having a laugh.

We are both in new relationships. Mine is very new and his has been going on for four or five months.

Although he sometimes initiates contact I usually do as this is what I am normally like with my friends, I tend to organise things, that's just me.

Whenever I suggest meeting up he always agress no matter what. Even if it's a day long thing or just the evening. We have been to the cinema, shows and concerts and he is always keen for us to do these things, just us two.

I do know, from talking with him, that his new girlfriend doesn't like doing these things. She mainly likes to sit at home, get take out, drink and smoke at home. My EX and I are more 'get up and go' types.

So, is he just in contact with me for this reason and this reason alone - that I fulfill his desire to get out and do stuff? So in other words is he using me? I'm not happy to continue this contact with him if this is the case and I don't want to be used. His girlfriend is OK about us being in contact but he says he does have to persuade her sometimes to 'allow' him to see me. He says he will always choose friendship with me over his relationship with her as he says he doubts that they have a future together. He says our friendship is more important (we have known each other for 7 years, dated for five)

So with this in mind is he also keeping me on hold as he knows his current relationship isn't 'the one'?

Also he is starting to initiate contact even less. We have booked a short break to the coast to do some walking in six weeks - so would this be why? Because he feels there is no need to have a chat in between now and then as we are seeing each other soon?

I appreciate any advice. Has anyone else been strung on by their EX or have any dumpers done this despite being in new relationships?