why can't i let go?

hello all.

my girlfriend and I have been together for 5 years now about half that time living together. during the past year i've realized more and more that the things that have been preventing me from marrying her are not going to improve. at the same time she's realized that i'm not going to marry her. several times over the past few months she's wanted to leave but i've always begged her to stay and she has. but now she's getting more and more resolved to leave. my brain knows and accepts that this is the best for both of us but i still can't let her go. everytime she wants to go i always plead for her to stay.

why can't i let go of this relationship? what can i do to give me the strength to finally let this go?

thanks.

If you love her but can't marry her, then you have to let her go... holding onto her just because you are scared to let go is not a good reason. I'm sure you already know this though.

You could be brutally honest with her and tell her the reasons you can't marry her and then she might never talk to you again... no matter how much you beg. This will really hurt you and her, but at least it would let you both move on...

Davidz- I don't understand, you've been with your girlfriend for 5 years yet you cannot marry her? Why not? Is it just that you're not ready to get married?

You might love sick and confused,

think about your relation,

and see what works for the both of you.

sorry i accidently sent that post without finishing.....

If you are not going to marry your girlfriend and that's something she wants, just let her go. It's going to be hard enough for her (and you) to move on after five years, it makes no sense for you two to stay together any longer.

i can't let go too.

one thing, i really don't understand like the rest, you been with her for 5 years. she more willing to marry you. but you instead can't marry her yet you love her. what is this?