wanted to break up but her parents are getting a divorce

I have been wanting to get out of my relationship for a long time. We've been dating since high school (over 5 years) and shes the only girlfriend I've ever had but now our futures are leading in different directions. I was going to break up with her this weekend but before I could she found out both her older sister and her parents are getting divorces. I still have some feelings for her and do not want to leave her when she might need me the most. However, I feel we should not be dating much longer. I do not want to waste her time. What should I do?

proactivedreamer

I think you should follow your heart. Sometimes we have to make difficult choices when the timing isn't right, so if you really feel like there is no future with her then you should better end it as soon as possible. If you end it just be very sensitive to her feelings...

Honesty is a better policy than faking it and making believe it's ok to keep going.

Put it this way:

I would presume (although I could of course be wrong) that you have had sex with her.

if you decide to keep going out with her because of the circumstances her family finds itself in - you will be having sex with her under false pretences.

Either your heart won't be in it, because your feelings have changed, or frankly? You'll just be using her for physical gratification.

And if you have sex with her - then dump her - what kind of a shock will that be to her, and what kind of a dog will she believe you are - ?

You have to be candid with her and let her know, before too long.

You can't fix her family issues and staying with her, won't make them better, or make it any less difficult.

you are not responsible for their decisions, so neither can you be responsible for how they affect her.

It's you and her. And if you really believe this has run its course - then be a man, say so, and have done with it.

optimistgirl
I have been wanting to get out of my relationship for a long time. We've been dating since high school (over 5 years) and shes the only girlfriend I've ever had but now our futures are leading in different directions. I was going to break up with her this weekend but before I could she found out both her older sister and her parents are getting divorces. I still have some feelings for her and do not want to leave her when she might need me the most. However, I feel we should not be dating much longer. I do not want to waste her time. What should I do?

If you care anything about her at all, I would wait a little. As someone who has been through that, I know that it's very traumatic and she's going to need a little support. Have a heart. I'm not saying that you have to wait around until she's completely better because that may take a while, but at least let her absorb the shock of what she's facing right now without adding to it.