Am i reacting in the right way? (ex and best friend)

turokturok5

Well i only dated her 2 months, but i liked her for so long and really cared about her, she dumped me for being too clingy. We've been broken up 2 months, within a week my best friend started becoming a lot more social. As soon as i started to date her, he started to distance himself from the group. He was always calling her/texting her untill i questioned him, pointed out that as soon as she dumped me he started coming out again, he said "when you were dating her you wouldn't pay much attention to me, now i can talk to you/have fun." I felt pretty touched.

So it becomes blatently obvious that he has a thing for her, he gets drunk and admitts it. I said to him a few weeks before that i didn't mind if he dated her, that i didn't want to be the one to stop them from being happy. I didn't mean it though, i was drunk and trying to be noble. He says to me although he likes her, he wouldn't want to put our friendship at risk, he'd rather have me than her, he valued our friendship and dating her would change things. After he said all this, i hear him saying to my other friend "i was going to ask her out, but she didn't seem keen" i got really pissed off.

The other night we go to a party, he had complained before about me not paying much attention to him at parties when i was going out with my ex, so i figured we could chill together/meet new people. He goes off and starts dirty dancing with chicks the whole night, i didn't feel comfortable as i was sober and they were all drunk, so i walked off. Later on i hear him pouring his heart out to my ex's best friend about how he really wants to ask her out, they talked for like an hour and i overheard my ex's friend say that she liked him but was just scared, then the next time i see him he has his legs wrapped around some random chick.

I can't get over the fact that he said he valued my friendship and wouldn't put it at risk and then he goes behind my back and tells two of my ex's best friends, whom are really close to me about his intentions, of course, they told me, saying that all he does is ask about her and tells them how he wants to go out with her, he just doesn't understand her intentions. Thing is, our friends know that i still have feelings for her, i don't want to it's just i have never met someone like her before, yet he tries to date her and our other friends encourage him. I've pretty much been distancing myself from our group/my best friend and after i go on holidays with him, i doubt i'll have much to do with him anymore if he is going to lie to me and then go behind my back. Am i doing the right thing, or am i overreacting?