Ex is in a rebound relationship...but is it really a rebound?

Just looked at my ex's facebook page and he's already got a new girl 3.5 weeks after our breakup. I was really angry when I first saw, but I've calmed down now. I still love my ex so I do still harbor hope we'll find each other again sometime, but I don't plan on putting my life on hold for him either. Just out of curiosity has this happened to anyone and how long did your ex's rebound relationship last? I'm 18 and he's 19, if that means anything. I want to think that it means nothing and won't last long, but only time will tell.

answered this in another thread. it's not a rebound. it's a college relationship. he is 19. college relationships do not last. you can look up the statistics on google too. it takes tons of work to make a relationship that was sprouted at a university get to the marriage stage. TONS. Wait. forget that. it takes tons of work to make it last AFTER college too.

take comfort in the fact that she won't be with him for long.

• Author

Ugggh...this is really getting to me. All I can say is thank god I've gone no contact and have stopped pathetically contacting my ex. I guess the finality of it all is really getting to me. I still want to believe we could work in the future and now that he's already with someone it hurts my naive hope. Any other words of advice or comfort? I really need to get over this, I know.

Any other words of advice or comfort?

most college relationships fail. they are convenient and fun. no one is looking for anything serious. and if they are, they are silly. you grow a lot in 4 years. you're exposed to different people who look really good. hormones run rampant. unless both people want to put work into making it last. but it's unlikely. you're in a controlled environment in college. it's fun and exciting. but dynamics of a relationship change once you're out in the real world. your mental state changes once you leave school. your tastes change. did your ex put any work into making it last with you? will he put work into this girl? no.

he is in a relationship with this girl because it's convenient, she's close by, and it's temporary fun.

Edited by fiat500