Having a hard time deciding to keep my ex as a friend?

Those who don't know: Been with him 5.5 years but 2.5 years long distance. We've been friends for 2 years before actually dating, even though he has always been attracted to me whenever single.

He told me a couple days ago that his feelings haven't felt the same for a month and they have changed. He waited for my visit to see if it'd go back but it didn't, he tried hard, but he can't control his feelings. He says he's unsure why they've changed...but maybe the Army and me not being there often contributed to growing apart. He feels that way...I didn't know we were growing apart but I did noticing him acting a bit different before break up. He was crying really hard and I know it was hard for him to do.

He wants to be friends...he said he doesn't want me to disappear from his life. We've known each other since we were 12! He contacts me through text to see if I was okay and little comments. We went on Skype and this time there was no tears but it was still hard.

I don't want to lose him at all. I really want to be friends one day...who knows? I just want to be able to call him and be able to talk when I need him. Or just be "cool" with him and keep in touch to say hi. Well, right now I want him, I'm in love and I want to know what to do?

right now keeping in touch sometimes makes me feel better rather than no contact in fear of us drifting. But I hear that no contact rule you have a better chance of him missing you and u moving on.

What to do?!

how old are you guys? I really cant understand this one. I am going through the same thing only my girl left me. As a man all I can say is this only happened with my first few girls. The girl I was with I had a period of time where I had doubts, but eventually I matured and realized what we had was so special. 7 years with a girl I loved to be with. So many great memories I wanted to expand on. I wanted to pass to our kids. My ex on the other hand left for greener pastures. The spark died I suppose. I had thought women were far more prone to this. They seem to harness all the emotions.. at least thats the way I see it.

I'm becoming more bitter by the day :mad: