Would you break up with someone you love?

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever broken up with someone they still love?

I've realized that my breakup is hard to accept, because as far as I know, my ex still loves me. When he broke up with me, he told me over and over again that he loved me. Even after we broke up and talked, he told me that he loves me.

I have never broken up with someone I loved, but there have been times when I've thought about it because part of me was insecure in the relationship. It wasn't that I really wanted out, but for a twisted sense of self preservation. Fortunately my rational side prevailed and I never caved to my demons.

I understand your feelings as I'm still convinced that my ex loves me. She also told me she did and said that she "freaks out" when she gets close to someone. I have a feeling that's part of the reason she left, she couldn't handle her emotions.

But remember, even if they do still love us, they dumped us. And we have to live our lives as if they won't be back. They have a lot of work on themselves to do. And in the case of someone who left for someone else, I thinnk there's more to the situation than meets the eye.

I've realized that my breakup is hard to accept, because as far as I know, my ex still loves me. When he broke up with me, he told me over and over again that he loved me. Even after we broke up and talked, he told me that he loves me.

Don't fall for it. If he loved you he would be with you. It's just the standard coward's break-up line.

• Author
Don't fall for it. If he loved you he would be with you. It's just the standard coward's break-up line.

I kind of agree with that. I really do, but not everything is black and white.

We were long-distance, we'd been fighting a lot due to his work demands, I was depressed, and actually, this breakup happened in the middle of a 2am phone call fight. We weren't even supposed to be on the phone, but we starting fighting and then he just blurted out, "I need a break!"

Yes, we both knew things weren't great, and probably a "break" was on both of our minds... but, then he starting saying how he was scared and that he loved me so much.

But. The bottom line is: he broke up with me.

sure i've done it a number of times

But. The bottom line is: he broke up with me.

Yes, he did.

I received even more declarations of love and importance from my ex.

Repeat, PG: Sometimes love isn't enough.

• Author
Yes, he did.

I received even more declarations of love and importance from my ex.

Repeat, PG: Sometimes love isn't enough.

From Skiman?

Jog my memory again, why did he call things off?

Yeah, as difficult as it may seem, love isn't everything.

From my experience, Timing is just as big a factor as far as I can tell. Timing creates problems such as: career paths, where you end up living, growth as an individual, wanting to experiencing more out of life, age differences, etc, etc.

What I do believe is that there is more than one right person out there for you, but you have to be the right person for yourself first. Find out what you are looking for in a partner and ask yourself: "Who would this person be right for?" and do your best to fill that role, ie. be the best you can.

So many of my friends are so quick to jump on the faults of others: "She's too ugly, looks like a gold digger, what a dumbass, she's too fat, etc...I'd never get with her." The are so busy criticizing they forget to look in the mirror to see an unkempt, uneducated, uncaring, shallow, overweight, broke ass man. :(

I sometimes have to remind myself the same thing as well when getting through bad breakups...but...

Work on yourself to the best of your ability and your dream girl or guy will come along.

I broke up with my ex-girlfriend. I loved her like crazy. I did it because she wouldn't allow the relationship to go forward. I realized that love is not enough if there is always a wedge between and you obstacles being placed in your way.

Yes, I have, Matter of fact I had been seeing this wonderful woman since May, but I may be moving across country, and there were some incompatibilities both of us knew we couldnt work out.

So we talked it out and I said the words. We are still great friends, and oh my god do I love her to death, but one of the biggest differences I want a family, she has a 7 year old and doesnt want any more.

So, yes I have but we talked it out thoroughly and agree that this is best, we are still best friends though, it is a unique situation.

that and its also possible i am still not over my ex from 7 months ago.

I've broken up with someone I loved, because he didn't love me back. I was so deeply in love with him, but he just didn't respect me or care about me, and it broke my heart every single day. So in the end I just called it quits. He didn't even care, which shows that he wasn't really that bothered about me.

An ex once dumped me because he loved me but didn't see any way we could be together, because of the geographical distance between us, and other circumstances. I don't really understand that; I'd have tried my best to be with him despite the distance.