Do you think it's likely that people breakup for other reasons besides the obvious?

What I mean by that is, do you think a guy, for example, would break up with a girl he knows is kind of above him just so he can have the pleasure of saying he broke up with her? Say if this guy is weirdly competitive, brags a lot, seems very insecure, etc.

Okay, yes, this is my situation. My boyfriend broke up with me, which is weird because if took a lot of coaxing from him to get me to even date him in the first place. But a few months after he broke up with me, his old close friend told me he never even graduated highschool, meanwhile he told me that he was already accepted into college and he could go whenever he was ready to, etc. I asked him why he didn't tell me he said that he "knows how I feel about people that don't get their diploma" which is complete BS, I would not have cared if he just told me. So part of me thinks that he did it just to beat me to the punch because he knew when I found out his true colours, that I might consider ending it.

He also made it seem as though he didn't want to end it, because he still kept talking to me and being intimate with me. And when I asked about being together and he still said no, I had had enough. Then he heard some stupid rumour about me getting with his friend (the one who told me about him not graduating) and blocked and deleted me on everything, took all of our pictures off facebook, and everything. Then when he agreed to talk to me again, he told me that he convinced himself that he never wanted to talk to me ever again, even though we did and were intimate once again. So this just doesn't sound like something a guy would do if he really wanted to break up... ya know?

does that sound weirdly far fetched? or can I be somewhere in the ballpark here?

Men often do downgrade a relationship, keep coming back for sex....It's mostly women who equate sex with emotion...i would listen to what he is saying and take heed