Tight Spot

I have a boyfriend that I've decided that I don't think I should be with anymore. The problem is, we have a vehicle together. Both of our names are on the title, and the loan is in my name. We don't live together, don't have any other joint bills. And frankly, the vehicle has only been bought about a week, but I've realized how stupid this is, and how I don't want to be tied down with him.

So, I know it was dumb, any advice on how to get OUT of it?

I won't ask you why you would put his name on the title of a car you signed for by yourself when you were so close to leaving him.

The best thing you can do is break up with him and let him sign the back of the title conveying his interest in the car over to you. Even better, get him to sign it over to you BEFORE you break up with him. You can put the car in your name only by going to the dealership or car lot where you made the purchase have have them to the paperwork for a nominal fee.

If he wants to be an axshole, he won't sign it over to you. Then you'll have to get an attorney and sue him. If he gave you some money toward the car and he can prove it, you will have a very difficult time getting his name off. If he gave you no money whatsoever, then there is no legal consideration for his ownership interest and a letter from an attorney pointing this out should be enough to get him to sign it over to you.

In any case, you need to resolve this matter while he is friendly to you. If you break up with him and he is very immature about the rejection, he could hold this over your head forever.

This is a terrible lesson you're having to learn. I do hope it works out for you.

Again, if he'll be nice and go back to the dealer with you and sign it over to youk, great. Otherwise, see an attorney.

Frankly, I would tell him the finance company is insisting that the title be in your name only. I can't believe in a million years that any company would finance an automobile where the title is in more than just the borrower's name. Naybe he will sign to satisfy your lender BEFORE you break up with him.