I lost my friend

I feel very bad. We have been friends since childhood, but 2 months ago we started dating as boyfriend and girlfriend. It was probably the biggest mistake we've ever made, because now I've lost both a friend and a lover. Everything seemed to be fine, and what happened, was like a bolt from the blue: a week ago he said that he wanted to break up. We haven't talked since then. I feel really bad. I need your support.

The same thing happened to me, except that I had only been friends with the person for a few years, and we dated for 5 or 6 months. Then he abruptly broke up with me. The friendship is ruined now, despite awkward attempts to remain in contact. It sucks, but that's usually what happens.

This is why dating friends is a big no-no. It never works, IMHO. I would never date a friend, because once you cross the line, there's no going back. I would rather keep the friendship.

I would stop contacting him, I think he may need space right now. Maybe you guys can be friends again, but not for a while. It sucks, I'm sorry this happened to you, but take what you have learned with you as you go forward!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your responses. It's so nice to know that there are people out there to listen - I really appreciate your support! I care so much about my ex, since we have a really long history of friendship, so it's still really difficult to think that I might be losing that. He's a great guy and I don't want to let him go, but things just can't continue as they are. Thanks again for the support, it is really helpful.