"The Grass Is Greener" Trap -- Your Thoughts

Usually when people (including me) post a story about their ex running to another guy/girl after the breakup, many people comment that while the ex might be feeling madly in love and ridiculously happy with that new person now, sooner or later the reality will set in and the ex will realize "the grass isn't always greener on the other side." I know this closely is related to "rebounds" where people temporarily find happiness with someone else right after a breakup and then it doesn't work out.

I hope and pray these "words of wisdom" are true because it seems so unfair that our ex'es could just "replace" us and be happy in the long run, without ever having to "deal" with the break-up.

But...do you think we just CONVINCE ourselves that "what goes around comes around," "it's not gunna work out for them," "they'll see the grass isn't greener and be crawling back" in order to ease the pain and make ourselves feel better, or are there truly so many proven cases of this kind of stuff happening that it is almost "common knowledge"?

*Side note: I think the reason why I am asking is because I'm in that stage where I am so sick of wondering about this stuff and I just want to get through this and be okay with my life, regardless of what he does, but that sweet, sweet promise of this all blowing up in his face keeps me anxious and waiting for it...

Cossette,

My fiance and I broke up right before Christmas. She began dating someone else right away. Her words to me at the time was, it was effortless, he lives nearby, known for a long time etc...Within 4 weeks, she began regretting it. She admitted that while it was effortless, there was nothing there. She even used the grass isnt greener line.

She broke it off with him recently. Not sure if we can work this out but I did get to see what are you are asking about.

re:

Cossette4: "..that sweet, sweet promise of this all blowing up in his face keeps me anxious and waiting for it..."

I think it's perfectly natural to, briefly and occasionally, entertain the thought, above, -but I think it's a waste of time to *hope* for it -or dwell on it.

-Rio

Well, my ex broke up with me one day out of the blue over me the most stupid reasons. About a month later, he told me he had got back with his ex girlfriend right after he had broken up with me, which really hurt me at that time because I was naive enough to believe all the reasons he had given me for the break up. In return, the ex dumped him a few weeks later without him seeing it coming. So he found himself completely lonely and begging her to take him back. What comes around, goes around...